Chatting at the E:Bar with... Jens Rasmussen

What’s something unexpected or surprising that you learned about Australia through doing this play?
There are crocodiles in Australia’s interior AND that digging “to china” is inexplicably universal even though digging through the center of the earth from the Australian interior really lands you closest to Puerto Rico. So where do kids in China dig to?
What word do you say to key in to your Australian accent?
Two words actually - Don’t Smile. But just to be clear, I do actually smile in the show - well, not that much come to think of it…
Describe your childhood imaginary friend or foe. Can you draw a picture for us?
I had a reoccurring nightmare: in the dream my mother and I would finish saying my evening prayers in my bed (a bed which came from a nunnery by the way), she would tuck me in and close the door to my bedroom. Behind my bedroom door was a gun cabinet (for real - not just in the dream). When the bedroom door was closed the gun cabinet was revealed and in the reoccurring dream a demon would be sitting on top of the gun cabinet. I was trapped with no way out. I would wake up screaming. Good times.
image
Drawing of my reoccurring childhood nightmare 

Where is your home town? Did you ever want to escape from it?
My home town is Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I actually didn’t ever feel trapped there. We lived by one of the largest lakes in the state, and my folks got me a second hand windsurfer. Windsurfing is one of the most incredible feelings of freedom a person can experience. We also spent lots of time on the small farm my father and grandfather owned together. When we didn’t have chores, my younger brother, Hans and I would crawl through the woods and swamp making up adventures. Lastly, and maybe most importantly, my parents always had international guests staying with us: people from Iran, Israel, South Africa, New Zealand, Finland, South America, and many more. My folks always gave us a good view of the horizon beyond out little town, and the tools to tackle it on our own when we were ready. All my siblings and I went out on our own at 18 and never came back.
What’s your favorite Australian animal and why?
If I had to pick just one one it’d be the Dingo - misunderstood, intelligent, loyal, survivor now hunted and endangered. A close second would be Sugar Glider - can you handle the cuteness? https://youtu.be/FSx__5yIrmc
This interview was originally published on the 59E59 blog